Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Yes, Spray Starch is YOUR Friend

Ms. Harriet has a section in vol. 1 regarding ironing skills and the use of spray starch. I have always been afraid of starch because I was raised to iron using the steam. Trust me when I say, as a child I did my fair share of ironing but never with spray starch. Therefore, as an adult I iron very little unless I am sewing. Now as for quilting - you better learn to love ironing and learn how to use spray starch. I realize there are some women who do not iron their fabrics before aligning them, cutting them, or after sewing the seams. However, with me the proof was in the pudding. I could not believe the difference that spray starch made with all three.

So, I went to the store, purchased my can of spray starch, and took some "scrap" pieces of fabric and learned how to use it. Let me just say - PLEASE, PLEASE practice this before using on your quilt top you are in the process of making. There is a learning curve and the biggest of all is not using the steam after you spray that fabric with starch. Ms. Harriet says so and that is good enough for me.

Here is the before and after pics:


Before ironing


Heavy Starch






After ironing with 3 light sprays of starch
If you have never used spray starch on your fabrics and seams while quilting then you must give this a try. It is like night and day helping the seams lay flatter and making the quilting process go a bit smoother.

Happy Day,
debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment