Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Project 1: Harriet's Sampler

After reading some of the nuts and bolts from the first  book of the Quilter's Academy series you begin making your first quilt. This project is fondly called The Sampler because it is a sampler quilt that you construct during practice sessions and will be completed in book 2. This is what we are going for:

Harriet's Sampler

Here is what I am working on:

Fabric Selection

Center Block



You should know I have started this blog after completing several of the projects so please do not think I did all of these in one to two days. Therefore having said that here is what I have now learned and noticed when looking at this block: (1) That chapter on Preparing Fabric and Realigning Fabric Grain truly is VERY important. (2) Get the fabric aligned correctly or you will have uneven looking rows with your design. I did practice this technique, however, in my OCD sort of way I simply did not like the ragged looking edges to the fabric. So, I thought I could just square the fabric and call it a day. NOT SO! LISTEN TO WHAT I AM SAYING. AFTER MAKING TWO COMPLETE PROJECTS - NOT SO. I HAVE LEARNED MY LESSON. (3) I am going to remake this project getting the fabric in alignment and will repost the results. What is that old saying: If it is worth doing then do it correctly.

A little side note: The fabrics being used for most of my projects are coming from a "sewing" stash I had built-up while making other projects. They are not always what I would now choose for my quilt projects, however, while in the learning process I do not mind trying to deplete some of this stock.

Blessings to everyone,
debbie






No comments:

Post a Comment