Saturday, September 22, 2012

Mary Jane at Play Quilt

This quilt is my adaptation of Carrie's Country Lane Table Runner from vol. 1 of the QA series. As previously mentioned in my last post, since I have enough table runners for now, I wanted to use the Mary Jane fabric I had to construct a small quilt. I used the same three blocks as the table runner, just arranged them differently. Here is a visual view of where I am:



After sewing the blocks, you assemble the rows in a diagonal pattern. 




Rotate the topper and the blocks are in a "diamond" shape. The tops of the outer blocks are cut to create a flat edge.





I am pleased with how nicely the seams matched
up. I am learning and surprised at the same time.
Of course, all that spray starch helps everything
to lay flat.










Use your easy angle rule to
cut a nice corner edge.








Nice cutting, however, too late I made a huge error. I cut the blocks too close to the inner blocks and did not leave a 1/4" seam allowance for the border. I could just - oh, *^ bleep, bleep - too late now. Live and learn.






Otherwise, I think the top came together nicely and once the borders are added more pictures will be coming your way. Take care and have a pleasant evening,

From North Carolina,
debbie




2 comments:

  1. Very pretty - I really like the floral fabric in your four patch blocks. I like how you are brave enough to alter the project from quilt to table runner or table runner to quilt. I may follow your example and not make the other table runner project as a table runner. I'm going to make it a lap quilt instead. Thank you for continuing to inspire.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand the concepts Ms. Harriet is using in her books for teaching in the order she is. However, at the same time, I believe we all need to be true to ourselves. Be it a quilt of some type, table runner, wall hanging, etc. you need to enjoy what you are making while learning at the same time. And trust me when you alter a pattern, it is a learning experience. I appreciate your words of encouragement and kindness. I realize some of my color combos are "out the window", but while learning I simply want to use this stash I have on hand and when I am ready to remake a project or start something that is truly dear to my heart - watch out quilt shop - here I come. Take care and talk with you soon.

      Delete