Tuesday, September 4, 2012

New Beginnings

As we go through the journey called life there are always new beginnings. And my new beginning is learning to quilt the proper way.

I have been "quilting at it" for almost 3 years now knowing the outcome was not quite what I was looking but unsure of how to get there. My quilts were either out of square some where and this caused confusion when I knew all the cuts were the same. Or what is the ever constant comment - "my quilts do not look like the picture".  I mean "really" - I have been sewing clothes since I was a small child and have a Diploma in Dressmaking and Design. So, I needed someone to help me learn the nuts and bolts of the quilting process. Thus began my journey looking for a way to take online classes while working towards this knowledge. After much research and dead-ends I found places you could take classes for one thing or the other but not the whole package. It was then I happened upon the blog BLOCKHEAD; Quilter Academy where she talks about her journey using Harriet Hargrave's Quilter's Academy Series (Harriet & Carrie's Quilter's Academy Journal) and I was HOOKED.

I went directly to Amazon.com and downloaded the first book, Quilter's Academy, Vol. 1 - Freshman Year onto my Kindle and read the whole book in several days - some parts twice.


Now, I am in the process of working my way through the first book reading (again) and completing each project as I come to it. I am learning things I never thought possible.  My plan is to share each project as I progress and talk about what I have learned, the struggles felt along the way, and the joys of how it feels achieving mini goals. Here is to my new beginning and loving life along the way.

Blessings to everyone,
Debbie
 


No comments:

Post a Comment