Thursday, September 6, 2012

Project 4: Triple Rail Fence Post Continues

I have completed the inside blocks of the Triple Rail Fence Post Quilt and have moved onto the borders. I realize the progression of the book is to complete the tops and then add the borders toward the end. However, I love seeing the finished product - therefore, as I complete a top on goes the borders and then the quilting process. It just works that way for me.

I added the inside border cutting it 1" wider than the ending size is suppose to be, as Ms. Harriet suggest in vol. 1 of Quilter's Academy - The Freshman Year. Afterwards you trim the width to the appropriate size. Now, for the fun part - taking measurements of all the corners to check for accuracy and squareness. Here is a picture of the results: 

Notice how the square ruler sits wonderfully inside the corner? Can we say - touchdown! I was doing my happy dance all over the house - oh yea...


Here is a good place to interject a word about rules of all types. Ms. Harriet talks about rulers and the need for various sizes. On this topic we totally are in agreement. I have quite a few and at one time or another am using all of them to check measurement accuracy within the quilt. Trust me, having a good set of rules makes all the difference in the way your outcome looks. Here are just a few from my collection:




Everyone has their own needs for accurate cutting. I would love to hear about yours.




Now, onto the outside border. I am going to be brave and learn something else new. Mitered Borders. My outside border is the floral print and I think this would be a great time to tackle this learning experience. Next post will be the results. Until then...

Have a great, peaceful evening,
debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment