Thursday, September 13, 2012

"Core" Quilt Almost There...

I have finished the quilting process of my "Core" quilt and, so far, I am pleased with the outcome. With my walking foot I stitched in the ditch with nylon, invisible thread on top and black cotton quilting thread in the bobbin. The black matched the background in the backing very nicely.

Then I switched to Antique quilting Essential thread that I purchased from Connecting Thread for the top and bobbin thread. Continuing with the walking foot I stitched a little over 1/4" from the ditch and outlined each core. By using the Antique colored thread in the bobbin the backing also has the same outline.

Next comes the binding - 308" of it. But no worries here - I am using Ms. Harriet's binding instructions from vol.1 of Quilter's Academy instruction book - keeping my fingers crossed. 

Here are some before binding photos:


After quilting there are a few ripples where the fabric stretched due to distortion. This comes from several reasons, however, remember I cut this quilt before starting the QA series. Hopefully, after washing it will fall into place where these are not so noticeable.






Look how nicely the floral, printed backing
brings out all the colors from the front.





There will be one more entry showing the completed project. Then all my attention will be focused on Ms. Harriet's Quilter's Academy series. Until next time....have a great evening. 

From sunny North Carolina,
debbie


1 comment: