Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Project 2: Harriet's Winter Woodland Quilt



I was so excited to be learning how to construct a quilt using the fence post method and blocks. Needless to say I have made quilts before using this method, however, I called it a strip quilt and was not pleased with the outcome. As mentioned in my earlier post this quilt and the next project was completed before I decided to start blogging my way through this journey. I feel that putting everything down in black and white will keep me more disciplined and on track for the ultimate goal - the 6th book in the series. I realize this process is going to take some time - but when you are retired, all your kids are out of the house, and your husband works long hours what else do I have but time.

This quilt consist of:
60 pieced Fence Post blocks
49 blue squares
12 white print squares
Layout was 11 rows with 11 blocks each row.

As you can see there is a pattern to this quilt and I followed it very closely from the diagram in the book. I do not have in-process pictures of this quilt, but let me say that by using Ms. Harriet's chain piecing method, ironing after each add on, using the spray starch, and measuring each row and block as I went allowed this quilt to come together very nicely.

Now, one thing the Quilter's Academy series does not teach is how to quilt. This series is all about teaching you the ins and outs of quilt making and the ergonomics involved in that process. The quilting process is taught in another book by Ms. Harriet titled Heirloom Machine Quilting, edition 4.

I was not able to purchase this book for my Kindel, however, through the publisher (CT Publishing) I could purchase an e-book copy that you read on Adobe Digital. As long as I have it in digital format I am a happy camper. Well, back to my quilt - I am not a free-motion quilter and hope to some day accomplish this skill. So, according to Ms. Harriet's suggestion I quilted my version in a grid pattern on the inside and then just used straight lines on the outside border. I am practicing the free-motion quilting, but so far not so good.

This quilt I was pleased with the outcome - all the hard work payed off:




With all the spray starch and the marking pen lines for the grid pattern this quilt was washed after completion. I really liked the crisp finish it had before. I am having to get use to the drawn up softer look. Since I did not grow-up with handmade quilts I was totally unaware of how they looked after washing.  But, I was told on very good authority of this subject that this is the way a quilt is suppose to look. So bring on the softness and more quilts....I am totally hooked.

Happy Journey,
debbie

No comments:

Post a Comment