Thursday, September 6, 2012

Project 4: HARRIET’S TRIPLE RAIL FENCE QUILT

With project 4, the Triple Rail Fence quilt, I was wondering if my quilt would really turn out with the rail patterns matching up the way Ms. Harriet's do. With all the practicing I have been doing in-between working on the quilts in the book, I was hoping you would be able to see the fence pattern and each line would match accordingly.

While working my way through this project I measured as I went along, used my spray starch when ironing, and made especially sure not to pull the quilt while sewing or ironing. I have learned too much steam when ironing and pulling on the quilt when sewing will cause for major destortation and headaches down the road. The skills I am learning are starting to fall into place and I must say I am pleased with how my triple rail fence top is coming together.

The fabrics I selected for this project are bright with sewing theme words on the birdhouse fabric. I realize some of the fabric colors could have been a little more muted since they do not form a pattern, but I wanted something really bright and happy as I am going to use this as a wall-hanging for my sewing room. Wall is bear and ready...

Here are some in process photos:

 Chain piecing the blocks together into rows.



 
Sewing the rows together. Look how nicely the rails are matching up.

Partial close-up view from top showing more detail of rail pattern. Cool - yes?

Well, back to working on the completion. More to come later. In the meantime - everyone have a blessed and beautiful day,

From North Carolina,
debbie



No comments:

Post a Comment